Thursday, March 17, 2011

Happy St. Patrick's Day! My Favorite Day Because of My Dad!!!!

I love, love, love St. Patricks's Day!  As a child my mom always made sure it was celebrated in our home. My father is Scots-Irish and so, yes, a big deal! She would always find special breads and such for a traditional dinner with green food. Our family had fun and as always wore Green!

I am truly blessed though. I am part Irish somewhere in my lineage.  But what I am really proud of is that my dad adopted me. What a wonderful gift to give a child- to feel loved, protected and like you belong. 

My dad taught me how to use strength, determination and love all wrapped up in all I do. I am thankful because I had someone to guide me though life as a father figure. He also taught me to let God have some of those things I couldn't control or couldn't do. That one was probably the biggest gift he gave me. 

Being half adopted is wonderful. I knew I was loved. Someone chose me to be in their life by taking responsibility for me. That's rather special. But honestly, he's my dad, always has been since I was very, very little so as a child I didn't know. Once I did find out I was adopted I had a hard time understanding why a man would not want to be part of their child's life, but honestly my biological dad not being in my life growing up was a gift also. My mom made the right choice in leaving him. She and I did not need to be in an abusive situation. Instead, I got to have a dad in my life who loves me, cares for me and believes in me. Once I got my head around that then I was good to go!


Dad and I did everything together when I was a kid. We would throw a baseball or football back and forth for fun. We went to football games, baseball games, miniature golf and all kinds of fun stuff together. Then he taught me how to mow the lawn, tend to a garden, grill out on a charcoal grill, and ride my bike. I would go with him to the land he owned and help get wood for our stove for the winter. We fished, camped, hiked and all those things dads do with their kids we did. Every little thing was great. 


I still see Dad, but we don't live in the same area. We are terrible about calling each other too, but I always know he thinks of me and he knows I think of him often too. So we do not visit each other as much as I like, but we still have that special bond and complete understanding between us. We are now trying to make plans for the summer. Maybe camping with my herd of kids somehow with all the family. Whatever we do we'll have fun like we always do! 

Probably the best thing about our relationship is this: He is my father and I am his daughter and nothing ever will change that or take that away. Being Scots-Irish and sharing the bond we do makes St. Patrick's Day even more special to me.


Happy St. Patrick's Day Dad!!!! I love you! Thank you for encouraging and believing in me.

Here's a special blessing for you! Thank you for being my dad. It means the world to me!


May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.
~Irish Blessing

No comments:

Post a Comment