Thursday, March 11, 2010

Cowls are all the rage these days

Really, I have seen more cowls in the past year than I have in all my life! Big huge ones you can loop around your neck a couple times to small knit ones that fit nicely around your neck. All in different types of yarn from big thick yarn to sock yarn. Some even just over the shoulder or up over your head like a hood. I do like the versatility of the look and can see how they would be very nice to wear keeping you warm and snug on an outdoor day.

Now, I hear from some of my fans on facebook that they are interested so I am going to take a stab at this with my knitting needles. I do know I need to use circular needles and I will probably start out with a chunky styled one.  Seems simple enough. I might even give it a go on my knitting loom - the biggest one which I think is yellow. I'll have to dig that out, but basically instead of working back and forth like for a scarf or rectangular object I am going to work in the round. I use safety pins as markers so that way I know where my beginning stitches are (plus safety pins are a lot cheaper than markers you can buy in the store).

There are also several nice and easy patterns out there with Lion Brand Yarn and Ravelry. You might like to look around and try one for yourself. If you don't  know what Ravelry.com is then I suggest you go and find out! What a valuable too this is to do so many things from keeping track of your yarns, needles and such to finding patterns and groups/friends to connect with online.

So I'll be plotting and planning my cowls to knit over the summer as to have them ready for the cool weather in the fall. I'm sure they will still be around next fall and winter seasons. Usually things like this stick for a year or two. At least that is what I am banking on!

No comments:

Post a Comment