Wednesday, April 11, 2012

And the tradition continues...

When I was a little girl I was always included in the activities my grandparents and family were doing. Like cooking, gardening, creating and so as a child I was exposed rather early to things grown up people do. I remember standing at the kitchen sink at my great grandparents kitchen looking out on the farm through the window while rinsing dishes in a tub. I was about 4 then. I also remember making Parker House rolls with my great grandmother and turning some of the dough into cinnamon rolls. And so this is how we learn isn't it?

When I was very young, before I was five, I painted with oil paints with my grandma. And then over time I picked up a needle and thread and started sewing with my grandma and great grandma. I went from embroidery to sewing sundresses and on to quilting. Learning to do these things with my family has been a tradition as long as anyone can remember. Just like boys learn to drive a nail, sew a button on, farm the land. They do it beside their fathers and mothers. And I learned just like the boys too with things like: Chop & haul wood, fish, hammer things, carpentry, metal work, feeding the cattle, etc. It was just a part of our lives. And I think back on it fondly.

Now, I am seeing my children taken under my family's wings and starting to learn the same way I did. There is no hesitation. Just jump right in, make mistakes, learn from the mistakes and over time perfect what you are doing. What could be better?

Recently my family was able to get together to celebrate the birth of our newest family member. And in the small amount of time we were together...look what happened...


This is my daughter with my grandmother, her great grandmother learning to piece a quilt. Now I look at that and see what a wonderful bond those two got to form that day. A little lesson introduced and knowledge had between two family members. What could be better? Nothing in my opinion is better.

I have very fond memories of just these types of things I got to do with my family. I was very lucky to know all my grandparents and three great-grandparents, two of them lived long lives up to when I was married and had kids even. I have memories of riding the tractor with my dad's father. Fishing and shooting a rifle with my mom's dad. Gardening, cooking, sewing with all my grandmothers and great-grandmas. And now many of them are gone, but I still remember those treasured moments I had with them. Working and learning right beside them, but it wasn't work at all. It was fun. And that is how these traditions come full circle. Maybe someday I'll teach my grandchild or even great grandchild some art. It's something to look forward to.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete