Thursday, February 11, 2010

Beads, Wire and Needles

A few days ago I decided to pick up some 28-gauge wire to knit on #2 needles. Just as an experiment and to see if I liked it at all.

I loved it! This was a lot of fun.

I began by threading many beads onto the wire and started by casting on the wire to the needles. Knitting one row and then purling another. At first I held everything too tight, but finally loosened up and got the hang of the new material. I think that is pretty typical when you have not used a material.

I do like the way the transparency and opaqueness of the beads shows up in these photos. They seem to work on the wire by not being too big or too showy for this project.

This experiment ended up becoming a bracelet after all, but I can see this being a nice choker if lengthened a bit and finding a nice clasp or chain with clasp. 

I have a lot of different beads that have been passed onto me also. So I think I will try them out and see what I can come up with - probably several bracelets for now.

Sometimes testing your skill with new materials turns into a great new way to express yourself. This would be one of them for me. I'm usually not intimidated when trying new ideas. I just jump in and make the mistakes. It's the only real way I learn. I am such a hands on person anyway and I don't think I could ever just read a book and say..oh, I can't do that! I read the book, look at the examples and dive right on it.

So jewelry might just become part of my life if I keep going at this and it might just be a passing fancy. Time will tell, but for now I am just going to enjoy the process.

2 comments: